Going, went, gone !

2008/10/20

Camiel


Infact I heard it through the grapevine already last Friday but today Camiel called me himself.
He had been treated years back already but this time doctors had to give up. Camiel sounded exactly like he did every other time we met. Nothing special in his voice...
In short he explained that the doctors said it is a matter of months. He himself said it felt more like a matter of days.
He thanked me for the goodtimes we had and asked me to inform my Mum since she had always showed a lot of interest in his wellbeing.
It was hard to talk to him. Especially since he was so down to earth about it.
Life was 1 hard lesson for him I think. His Mum already passed away when we were still in school. Always in trouble with his Dad who passed away only recently. Since young he has been diabetic and a long history with cancer. Nothing seemed to come easy for him but he worked hard to get what he wanted.
In a way he is happy he won't leave behind any kids although I senced a bit of regret there. He is good with kids, I noted that whenever he came over to our place. Also to his sisters kids he was like the naughty uncle, the Dad that every child wants.
Never the less, he lived a happy life. He ended up with a very nice girlfriend, Carolien and travelled around a lot with his Harley and van, from 1 bikemeeting to the other.
He left me with the message to go and live and enjoy because people don't do that anymore.
Today Camiel called me to say goodbye.
May God have mercy on him in his final days here and on his soul when the time is there.

Vaya con Dios Amigo! You won't be forgotten.

Picture: Class of 1980. Insert is Camiel. Chinese guy top right is Danny Liem, guy top left Jan Willem van Ommeren. Both passed away years ago.

No comments: